Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sick kitty

I have a sick kitty on my hands today. When I got him out of the bathroom this morning he was shivering like he was cold. I wrapped him in a little towel and thought he would be okay soon. He was very lethargic and seemed to get even more so as the morning progressed and I could not get him to eat or drink anything at all and he kept shivering like he was cold. So, I wound up taking him to the emergency vet clinic. They ran a blood test and stool test and found no parasites and the blood work came back fairly good. He had a fever and was slightly anemic. They gave him a pain med shot (anti-inflammatory type thing - they said he could be shaking because he was in pain) to get his fever down and sent him home with antibiotics. They aren't sure if this is something viral (blood work didn't really indicate an infection) or if there is something going on with the leg that has the splint on it. He is walking around now and has eaten a little bit and seems more himself but he isn't too steady on his feet at all. He walks like he is drunk. He falls over and shakes at times like someone with parkinson's or something. I am hoping that is due to the pain meds and/or because he is a bit weak due to not eating or drinking for awhile.

I have a 5pm appointment tomorrow to re-do the splint but I will probably call when I am dressed tomorrow to see if they can see him earlier.

I looked SO HORRIBLE when I went to the vet. I had not showered and my hair was pathetic - plastered to my head because I did shower last night but didn't fix it or anything so I couldn't do anything with it. I was afraid to take the time to shower and get ready with the way he was acting so I just dressed and went. I really thought he might be getting ready to die on me or something.

I think I am at the point now where I could go thru with amputating the leg if that is what is causing him problems now. I want him to be healthy and happy and active and he has been far from it today. Perhaps it is just a viral thing though. He is a good bit more perky and alert right now so hopefully he is on the mend from whatever is going on and we'll find out at some point tomorrow how the little leg is doing and if there are any problems going on there.

No comments: