Monday, October 13, 2008

Kitten update

I took Chance to the vet this morning and they changed his splint out. They said his leg was much straighter but still weak but he did put his foot down on the pads like it is supposed to be so hopefully what we are doing will work for him. I have to take him back in a week to check things out and change the splint again if he doesn't manage to get it off before then. It is longer this time because the vet tried to give him more room in there for growth and stuff. He isn't real happy about it but hopefully he will get used to this one too and be able to get around okay. He weighed 1.6 pounds today! He was one pound even a little over a week ago when I took him there for the first time so I am pleased to see that he is gaining weight and I actually saw him drink some water today too. He didn't seem to be drinking much and didn't really seem interested in the milk I was giving him anymore now that he has the canned food. He will eat the hard food if that is all there is but he likes the canned better of course.

The vet said he is a very good patient. She said normally it would be almost impossible to put a splint on a cat when they are awake but he cooperated with them. He gets scared to death when I take him to the vet and he was ready for a nap too so I'm sure those things helped. He really is a sweet cat though and seems to like to be held and cuddled when he is tired or scared. Other times he is your normal wild kitten running around and playing and pouncing and stuff and I think he must like to play hide and seek. I have started letting him run around the house more and he will meow like something is wrong so then I will call him and try to find him and he just stays in his hiding place and is really quiet - even when I walk right past him.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Good news! Chance has a name too, no more calling him Fred! He is growing like a weed too!