Thursday, September 11, 2008

Memories of 9-11

I remember getting in to work a bit late that day and as soon as I got there a coworker asked if I knew what was going on. I told him no and so we went back to our break area where there was a television and I saw the twin towers in NYC were on fire and then learned what had happened. This day was personal for me because my brother worked in one of those towers. I remember going back to my desk and trying to reach my parents to see if they had heard from him or my sister-in-law. Thankfully they had and he was okay. Later on I watched in horror as one of the towers collapsed and later the other and wondered each time if he was still okay. I knew that he wouldn't be just standing around or trying to get home but that he would be trying to help people get out of the towers and so I worried all day long as to whether or not he was still safe. They lost one guy that day and I learned later on that my brother was going back into the tower just minutes before it came down to look for the guy that was still missing. Thankfully his boss was made awafe of his plans and would not allow him to go back in because he knew the tower would be coming down soon. I can't even imagine what that day was like for his wife. They had one child at the time and I was told that she didn't believe that he was okay. He had to get someone else to call her and assure her that he was okay. She knew he was alive since she was talking to him but I guess she didn't believe that he was all in one piece. Thankfully he did survive and is doing well and doesn't seem to have any long term issues related to the horror he saw that day right up close and personal.

No comments: