Thursday, September 4, 2008

Colin & My scrapbook challenge




This month for my scrapbook challenge I decided to use pictures of my nephew Colin at the beach in the summer of 2007. He is one of the twins and he is a mess. He turned 6 not long ago and is in kindergarten this year. He and his twin sister have been in mother's mornings out programs for a few years and have always been in the same classroom. This year, they are in separate classes. I'm sure the separation will be hardest on him.

A few years ago he was in a mother's morning out type program and the class was supposed to be 'dancing'. I don't know if they were practicing for a parent's program or what but Colin refused to participate. He, like me, is an observer and often will not participate himself. His teacher sent a note home with him and when asked about it he said "I was dancing in my heart". I thought his response was funny/cute but sad in a way too. I find myself so often sitting on the sidelines of life - refusing to participate. I enjoy watching and I learn by watching but many times I find myself participating "in my heart" and not jumping in there when I really would like to but something holds me back. Sometimes it may be just that I think I can't do whatever it is or that I can't do it well or that I will get made fun of. I pray that he will start coming out of his shell and doing it earlier in life than I started. It seems like the older I get the harder it is in some respects but I am trying to get out of my shell a bit more and do things that I really want to do and not worry about what others think. I find myself enjoying myself a lot more when I just relax and am not focused on who might be watching or what they are thinking.

5 comments:

Tommy said...

I have seen many positive changes in you these last few months. It is a slow process but I know that you will make it. I tell everyone that this time next year no one will even recognize you. "GO GIRL"

BEEN THERE DONE THAT !!!!

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

You are coming out of your shell, and it looks like you are enjoying it!


i deleted the prior comment casue i misspelted a werd.

Brenda said...

Michelle, you are a blessing to many. God will grow you out of your box. Look at Sherry and I, we both used to be in small boxes, now we are in really big boxes, with the lids off. It is amazing what God will do for us, if we are willing.

Loveday's Day said...

I think you have really come out. Maybe a little too much. TWEETY BIRD.