Friday, April 10, 2009

THE hike

I went on a LONG hike a few weeks ago. SEVEN miles of hiking. We went to the walls of jericho and it was a really pretty hike. Going in wasn't too bad although I tense up even when walking downhill as I am always afraid I am going to slip and fall. Most of the hike "in" was downhill except the last half mile or so which was mostly uphill and ROUGH! Coming back "out" was tough as it was mostly uphill and I started cramping pretty bad in BOTH legs (thigh area) with still about a mile or mile and a half to go. I wasn't sure I would make it out but I did with lots of stops. (and help here and there) Some friends from work, friends of friends from work, and my friend's daughter K went on this hike. I was definitely glad that I did it. It was quite an accomplishment for me physically and realizing I can do that makes me think I can surely do other things that I might otherwise have thought that I couldn't. I plan to do this hike again once I am a little lighter and in better shape - maybe a year from now when the weather would be ideal again for it and by then hopefully I will be in much better shape than I am currently.



Tommy, K and I. It looks like I am half dead!!!!!!!


John, K and I. This was taken my the group ahead of us. Shows how steep the walk was at times as they weren't super far in front of us as far as distance goes.


Most of the crew - taking a break after crossing the "foot bridge".


Tommy on the foot bridge. See how it leans towards the water? I didn't like this bridge much. The railing seemed loose in places and I would have loved a rail on BOTH sides. But, the water was not that deep so wouldn't have been 'bad' to fall in I guess. We had to cross two of these bridges on the way in and then again on the way back out. The 2nd bridge was a bit better than this first one.


This is John. He was SO helpful on this hike. He used to be a survival instructor so he knew just how and when to help and encourage.

When I do a long hike like this again I realized I need more water and lots less food. I also need an extra pair of shoes or waterproof shoes and some extra socks and a walking stick or sticks. K's mom thought to tell us to take bandaids which was a good thing as I bandaged up my feet before hiking back out. I was getting blisters but the bandaids saved my feet (and John's extra dry socks) and I didn't wind up with lots of blisters on my feet like I usually do after walking for long periods of time. K and I hiked thru some water and wound up just going IN the water rather than fall off the slippery rocks so my shoes and feet were rather soaked on the hike back out.

We topped the day off with a stop at Joe's Pizza in Woodville. I'm not positive that is the right name but it was really good pizza there. Not much sitting room at all but it sure hit the spot after eight hours of hiking. I was thrilled to get to a bathroom too! Who knew I could go so long without going potty? I sure didn't as I NEVER do any other time.

2 comments:

Just My Life said...

Wow - that is very impressive. I have wanted to do this hike, but my husband, who is a big hiker and backpakers, thank you boy scouts, said I would never make it ... Maybe next time you go, I could go with you and we can encourage each other, of course, I want to be lighter and in better shape - so a year from now sounds good!

Michelle said...

Sounds like a plan! If you had gone with us, you would have made it. You might have felt like you had been run over by a truck afterwards but you would have made it. I think the key is going with the right person(s) who are willing to go at your pace and can assist as necessary.